|Our slightly dog-eared copy of this book by Maya Angelou.|
- A survivor of childhood violence.
- An activist, and an advocate for tolerance and peace.
- A silenced child, whose adult voice was both eloquent and unforgettable.
- A writer of words that have been quoted and read by many.
According to CBS News, during a Christmas Tree Lighting ceremony at the White House in 2005, Maya read one of her poems that included these words:
- “Rising high, high above me...a constant call up from misery, leaving behind nights of terror and fear I rise into daybreak miraculously clear. I still rise.”
Rise Maya Rise.
You have left our world a better place. Thank you for your fine words and the role model you have been. We will miss you.