Susan's Broccoli-Cheddar Soup
- 1 or 1.5 lb. broccoli florets
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. butter
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 48 oz. chicken broth
- 4 or 5 potatoes, cubed (about 1.5 cups)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup cream, half-and-half, or milk
- salt, pepper and celery salt to taste. (Optional: For more flavor, add a little thyme or tarragon.)
- Mince garlic and chop onion. Prep potatoes and broccoli.
|This little chopper was a wedding present over|
2 decades ago, and it has seen a lot of use!
- Heat oil and butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add garlic and onion to pan; sauté over medium heat until soft.
- Stir in chicken broth. Bring to a boil
|Purchased chicken stock is fine - homemade is even better.|
Add cubed potatoes to pan.
|Add potatoes first, then broccoli.|
- Cook about 5 minutes. Then add broccoli and continue cooking, until potatoes are soft and broccoli is tender.
- Puree vegetables in broth until smooth. This can be done using an immersion blender right in the pot. If you use a regular blender, soup can be pureed in batches, but use caution with hot liquids, and cool it down before blending. Return to pot.)
- Add 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, simmer and stir until well melted.
- Stir in milk or cream to desired creaminess and texture. Add seasonings to taste.
- Garnish with shredded cheese, and serve while hot, with some crusty bread or a roll.
|Homemade Broccoli-Cheddar Soup!|
So - there you have it. I suggest you use this recipe as a guide. I do something different each time I make it. Consider all quantities listed just as estimates, and feel free to adjust amounts and even ingredients as you prefer.
This is an easy recipe - it took me longer to prepare and publish this post than it did to make the soup!
(To print this recipe, click on the title and a “print button” will appear above the comments section.)
What is your favorite soup? Do you have a favorite recipe?