|The perfect nibble for after school, a play date or a grown-up party|
There are a multitude of recipes available for making tortilla rollups or "pinwheel" snacks. I came up with an ultra-easy version that day, inspired by the ingredients in my fridge and my need for speed. The end result - a satisfying, appealingly attractive and healthy snack!
Cream Cheese and Ham Tortilla Roll-Ups
- 6 or 8 oz. cream cheese
- 1/2 lb. ham, very thinly sliced
- 6 soft flour tortillas, 6-inch diameter
- 1 tsp. Italian Seasoning ( I used Safeway Brand, found in the Spice aisle)
|Feel free to substitute other favorite sandwich meat, cheeses or spices.|
- Soften cream cheese in microwave for 15-20 seconds, until spreadable.
- Add Italian seasoning into cream cheese, mix well.
- Place tortilla on a clean cutting surface and coat it with about 1 or 2 tablespoons of cream cheese, covering entire surface. Using an offset spatula really makes it easy to spread the cream cheese.
- Add a few ham slices, arranging them to cover the surface in 1 layer of thickness.
- Spread a very thin layer of cream cheese over the top of the ham
- Roll up the tortilla, being careful it doesn't begin to buckle; press lightly so it seals.
- Cut into bite sized pieces and arrange these, cut side up, on a plate.
- Cover and refrigerate until eaten.
Whenever I cut any sort of "roll-ups" into bites, I am never pleased with how the end pieces look. Rather than discard them, this time I was sure to just cut off a minimal amount from each end, and they became MY snack!
Give this a try next time your kids are hungry - you may even get a "thank you." I did!
Do your kids have a favorite snack?
Note: I previously had a version of this post published by Yahoo Contributor Network. On April 8, 2014, in a post on this blog I provided a link to that article. Unfortunately, much of the YCN content that was published no longer exists on the Internet, but full rights were returned to the authors - so I thought I would republish the full recipe here today.
This post may be linked to one of the great link-up parties I follow and list on my blog. Check them out!