Every few years my family would travel to Pennsylvania, to visit my grandparents farm and spend time with our relatives. My sisters and I always looked forward to catching fireflies, because they did not exist where we lived in Alberta.
|My twin sister and I on a tractor ride at my grandparents farm.|
Electrocuted!One evening, when I was about ten, my cousins, sisters and I were catching fireflies and playing hide-and-seek outside at dusk. It had rained that afternoon and although the grass was very wet, I was barefoot. We had been warned repeatedly about the current of the electric fence line that corralled the cows, but in the excitement of the game I forgot all about it. Running quickly, I did not see the fence in the dim lighting, and ran right into it. I felt a sensation of being grabbed and shaken, then was thrown to the ground. Awareness of what had happened dawned slowly. I checked myself all over to be sure I was alive - had I just been electrocuted?
GuiltSlowly, I made my way back to the house and into the bathroom. Under the light above the sink, I discovered some abrasions (burns?) on my arms and face. I felt guilty about not heeding the warnings about the fence, so never told anyone what happened. I was always very careful of the fence after that!
I have been asked by Lana, the blogger at Two Teens and Their Mama, to write a guest post for her blog. She plans to publish it tomorrow and I hope you will visit her blog to see it. While you are there, be sure to read her firefly article and spend some time browsing Lana's wonderful blog. I think you will enjoy it every bit as much as I do - and Lana's writing may even trigger a few memories of your own!
Have you ever felt guilty about getting hurt, because you did something you were warned not to do?
This post may be linked to one of the great link-up parties I follow and list on my blog. Check them out!