My technological ignorance is not just limited to web pages. For years, I have wanted to email the videos I've taken at my children’s events to far-away family, but I could never figure out how.
In the past, whenever I tried to email a video of a sporting event or musical performance, I have met with frustration. It seemed the videos files were too large, and therefore could not be sent. Does this sound like a familiar problem?
|This photo of a video is from my phone. Without using Google Drive, I would have no idea how to share this with anyone!|
My options for sharing videos long-distance used to be:
- uploading the video to Facebook or Youtube (not something I have always wanted to do!)
- burning them to a CD and sending it through the mail.
- waiting for an opportunity to show them in person.
Recently though, I discovered a way to successfully email a video to friends and family!Though far from being an expert in these matters, I am sharing what I know here today - with the hope
that perhaps it will help someone who has struggled like me.
If you create a google account on Google Drive, it is quite easy to send and share videos.
With Google Drive, you get 15 GB free storage, and can purchase additional free cloud storage if you fill that up and need more. Once files are loaded to Google Drive, you can create links to them, which you can then share with friends and family.
- Load the video on to your computer from your memory card or phone.
- Open Google Drive.
- Click New.
- Click File upload.
- Find the file you wish to upload on your computer, and click Choose.
For example, I opened my iPhoto, highlighted the video of a talent show performance that I had stored there, and then clicked, “choose.”
- At the bottom of the screen, a box appears with the words, “uploading one item”. Wait until the MB bar is completely filled in with blue, and the words “Uploads completed” appear. Note: This can take quite a while, depending on the size of the file.
- Find the file you just uploaded to Google Drive in My Drive. Once a thumbnail photo appears at left (with an arrow in a circle), the video can be viewed. This may take some additional time, after the file is uploaded.
- To rename the file, so you can find it in the future:
- Highlight the file by clicking on it.
- Click on the three vertical dots at top of screen. (If you hover over these, the phrase more actions appears.)
- Click Rename file
- Type your new title and click ok.
- To share the video, highlight the file in My Drive, then click on the link icon at the top of the page. A URL specific to that file will appear. Highlight and copy this link, then email it to whomever you choose. Note: you can adjust the sharing settings as per how you wish the recipients of the link to be able to use the file.
There may be easier ways to do send a video, but this is the solution I have found that works for me. Next time you want to share a video, I hope you find this helpful.
How do you share your videos? Do you have any helpful suggestions?
Please leave them in the comments below!