I need your advice.My husband is encouraging me to pick out a laptop computer as my birthday present from him! While I was trying to decide between the different computer options available, I asked the Best Buy technician a billion questions last week. I still can't make up my mind.
Here's where you come in. It just dawned on me that I have a valuable resource of expert opinions readily available to me - many of my blog readers know a lot about computers, and all of you use one! Will you please help me pick one out?
|This is the Mac desktop I have used to write most of these posts.|
I am pretty sure I want an Apple product.Actually, I have already narrowed down my choices somewhat. We are an "Apple" family - all of our cell phones are iPhones, my husband has an iPad, and we have owned an Apple desktop for the past decade. I plan to stick with an Apple product - not necessarily because it is superior to the competition, but because it is what I am used to. One huge bonus that I see is that I would still be able to access to our large iPhoto file from my laptop. That being said - if you think Apple is a poor choice for a blogger, please tell me why!
What will I use this laptop for?I probably will continue to do some writing/ blogging on our desktop. There are several reasons it would be really nice to have a laptop though.
- For travel: Having a nice computer with me will make it a lot easier to blog (rather than get frustrated trying to use our ancient and undependable netbook; borrow a family member's computer; or write posts on my phone - which I have done!)
- Change of scenery. With a laptop, I can blog from any room in the house - or the library, a coffee shop, a doctor's office, ... or anywhere I can connect to the Internet!
- For exercise: I have become more sedentary than I like as a writer, and I really need to build more exercise into my day. The option of creating a standing desk with a laptop, or even adding a shelf to our treadmill, and doing some walking while I work has a lot of appeal!
What size of screen?I want a big enough screen to work comfortably on, and for my aging eyes to easily see. But I do not want something big or heavy. I think I have decided on a 13-inch screen.
- An 11-inch is definitely too small for my needs, as I open multiple windows at a time.
- I don't think their is enough difference between the 13-inch and 15 inch screen size to justify the extra size, weight and price of the 15-inch.
Which models are in the running?Technically, I believe Apple refers to the computers in which I am interested as “notebooks.” I ruled out the Macbook Pro, because it is the heaviest of the three models I have been comparing. As far as I can tell, the only real advantage of the Macbook Pro is a CD player, which I don't need. (Or do I?) I think I have narrowed my choices down to:
- the 13-inch Macbook Air versus the 13-inch Macbook Pro with Retina display.
Air versus Retina Pro?
As far as I can tell, and from information on the Apple Website:
-The Macbook Air is a little lighter, and has a longer battery life (12 versus 9 hours, I think) than the MacBook Pro with Retina DIsplay.
- The MacBook Pro with Retina DIsplay has one more Thunderbolt port than the MacBook Air - and an HDMI port (whatever those are!)
- The MacBook Pro with Retina DIsplay has considerably more storage capacity and more memory than the MacBook Air (but there is always the Cloud ... )
- The MacBook Pro with Retina DIsplay has much better resolution and pixel density (better display) than the MacBook Air.
- The MacBook Pro with Retina DIsplay has a more powerful processor, so it is faster than the Macbook Air.- The MacBook Air is less expensive, but perhaps not enough to sway a decision, if the features of the MacBook Pro with Retina Display are more desirable. I may need to purchase Cloud space or external backup for the MacBook Air, which would lessen the price difference.
So - What's a Blogger to Do?I will primarily be using this laptop for writing and blogging. I want to chose the computer that is best for this these tasks, while being easy to see and use, and portable. As you have seen on this blog, I do incorporate quite a few of my own photos into my blog posts, but my photo editing efforts are not extremely technical.
The battery life and lighter weight of the MacBook Air are extremely enticing - but so is the storage space, more powerful processor, and enhanced screen of the MacBook Pro with Retina display.
Here are my questions for you:
What type of computer do you currently use - and are you a blogger?
Of these two Apple products, which do you recommend I buy - and why?
OR - - Is there a different laptop you think I should consider?
My birthday is over. My husband really wants to give me my gift - and I can't wait to get it!! I value your opinion - and I would really appreciate your help in choosing it.
|Photobombed by my feline assistant!|
Please leave your suggestions in the comments.
Thank you for your help!
This post may be linked to one of the great link-up parties I follow and list on my blog. Check them out!